The Philippine Orchid Society, Inc. is a non-sectarian, non-profit, and non-stock professional organization which specializes on Philippine orchids species and hybrids. It is popularly called “POS” among its members and endorsers alike. The group is based in Quezon City, however its members and affiliated garden clubs are scattered all over the country.
The POS holds two Orchid Shows per year which are:
- The POS Annual Orchid & Garden Show – which is held during the last week of February to the first week of March (usually March 01 – 10) of every year, to coincide with the natural blooming of the Phalaenopsis (Mariposa) and the Dendrobium anosmum (Sanggumay) .
- The POS Midyear Orchid & Garden Show – which is held during August of every year to coincide with the blooming of the Vanda sanderiana (Waling-Waling) which is found in the logo of the society.
The Orchid Show is a 10-day event, with an opening ceremony on a Thursday, and becomes open to the public the following day (Friday) up till the 10th day (which is a Monday). During this event, orchid landscape exhibits, plant judging competition, lectures, free clinics, and commercial sale of orchids, ornamental plants and garden accessories are held. This is a time for get-together for various garden plant enthusiasts, collectors and old friends.
The Philippine Orchid Society will provide Leadership in the global world of ORCHIDS.
The mission of the Philippine Orchid Society, to accomplish its vision of providing leadership in the Orchid World are:
- to increase members satisfaction and participation.
- to extend the knowledge, production, use and appreciation of orchids.
- to collect and disseminate information on orchids.
- to support orchid education and research.
- to support the preservation and perpetuation of orchid species.
- to organize and maintain orchid quality standards through POS judging system.
As a scientific or horticultural corporation for non-profit purposes, we are endeavored to promote, carry on and aid in every possible way the development, improvement, preservation and proliferation of ORCHIDS; to conduct or cause scientific researches on development, improvement, preservation and proliferation of orchids; to assist those engaged in growing orchids by such researches and information dissemination; and to extend the knowledge, production, use and appreciation of orchids of any kind and in any manner in the Philippines.